Sri Lankan Cricket Fans
Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) - Printable Version

+- Sri Lankan Cricket Fans (https://www.slcricketfans.com)
+-- Forum: General Chat (https://www.slcricketfans.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Other Sports (https://www.slcricketfans.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) (/showthread.php?tid=2996)

RE: Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) - VP - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 02:42 PM)stillwill Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 04:03 AM)mugatiya Wrote:  How am I supposed to understand this post?  Huh

I understand what he means. His posts are for the intellectuals, you Aussie peasants won't get it. We NATO boys stick together.

Dayyyyym rright. Muga is a bit jumpy these days and nit picking on all of us Smile

(12-07-2022, 03:27 AM)LankaFan Wrote:  It is so amazing that Portugal, Netherlands and England, the 3 countries that ruled Sri Lanka until it gained Independence are into the Quarter Finals stage.  However, Sri Lanka are not any good in Football Frusty...the easiest sport to master for small made people like us.

Good observation. I think our poor diet and the hot(humid) weather that hampers us. Footballers are like racehorses. We don't have the best record for producing good horses. Big Grin

RE: Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) - mugatiya - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 04:03 AM)mugatiya Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 03:27 AM)LankaFan Wrote:  It is so amazing that Portugal, Netherlands and England, the 3 countries that ruled Sri Lanka until it gained Independence are into the Quarter Finals stage.  However, Sri Lanka are not any good in Football Frusty...the easiest sport to master for small made people like us.

How am I supposed to understand this post?  Huh

(12-07-2022, 04:08 AM)Bada Wrote:  I think he's trying to say that it's surprising SL didn't take to football (unlike cricket) despite the colonial connection. Not everything sticks just because somebody invaded. Also, SL had a history of 1500 years before all this.

Thanks. This was why I made my comment. Just because 3 countries invaded does not mean we absorbed every single thing they tried to shoe-horn into our culture.

(12-07-2022, 02:41 PM)stillwill Wrote:  Funny how these poorest nations decided to follow one of the most expensive sports to organize and play lol. India has a billion people, if Football was the #1 sport, then every single kid is a potential talent, meanwhile so many poor kids get left out cause they cant even afford to play organized cricket.

To understand this you need to understand how the British used cricket in the colonies after the East India Company brought it to our part of the world. Initially, cricket was used as a way to separate the whites from the natives in the colonies. Even when people in India were really into it, the British did not want to welcome them or play with them.

Later the British realised cricket was actually one of the best ways to build a bridge between the Coloniser and the Colonised. And it was a way for them to spread their version of the civilised world. Because cricket in British culture was seen as the height of civility. This is key to the difference between football and cricket. So from a certain point in history, you see all the Lords stationed in India/SL etc inviting natives to play with them.

For the colonised people - typically upper echelon of society in India and SL - they saw it as an opportunity to be seen as equals to the whites. So naturally, cricket took off and became very popular and spread to the masses as the ideal that they can strive for to get a foot in the door with the whites.

Back to football. Cricket and Rugby as well were upper-society sports in England. Played at the elite public schools in England ie. the schools from which much of the top brass that took part in spreading the empire came. Remember cricket was "the gentleman's game" So when the East India Company came to colonies the top brass naturally played the sports they preferred. Football in England was the "working class" man's sport so they did not play too much of it in the colonies so it did not take root as cricket did.

For all intents and purposes, the Dutch and Portuguese invasion (1505–1594) of SL doesn't matter to the discussion of football spreading because football only really became a thing after they left. So the British are the only colonisers that matter in this discussion(1815–1948) And when they came they brought cricket and rugby as outlined above and not much football.

(12-07-2022, 08:54 PM)VP Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 02:42 PM)stillwill Wrote:  I understand what he means. His posts are for the intellectuals, you Aussie peasants won't get it. We NATO boys stick together.

Dayyyyym rright. Muga is a bit jumpy these days and nit picking on all of us Smile

I value a higher standard of discourse on the forum. I don't try with you because you are too far gone.

LF likes a good discussion and I just wanted to understand what he meant before I responded..

(12-07-2022, 10:40 PM)mugatiya Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 08:54 PM)VP Wrote:  Dayyyyym rright. Muga is a bit jumpy these days and nit picking on all of us Smile

I value a higher standard of discourse on the forum. I don't try with you because you are too far gone.

LF likes a good discussion and I just wanted to understand what he meant before I responded..

Ok we have a Bitchy Sunak here Smile

RE: Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) - stillwill - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 07:20 PM)mugatiya Wrote:  There’s so much work that needs to go into being able to compete at the top level in football.
It’s not about having a passion for the sport or genetics.

You need academies
You need infrastructure
You need qualified coaches at every single level
You need to develop technical players
You need to improve nutrition and fitness to a level no one in SL is used to
Then you need a good competitive league

Even if you had every single one of these things tomorrow in SL, we’d not do well for another 25 years because we have never played football at the level these countries play at. Our only experience is against the very low tiers of Asia. The gal between the level we play at vs what you see at the World Cup is not something we can even comprehend.

In North and East it was the most popular sport. I remember being very little and going to watch a match where there must have been at least 3000 people or so. It was an important match. I've heard stories about guys bringing players from Bangladesh, Kolkata and Middle East to play certain cups back in 70s. I'm trying to find some sort of record or proof for even a footage of old matches. None around. It is a missed opportunity for sure. Interest in cricket is very recent because SL cricket itself wasn't popular and obviously there weren't tv broadcast after 1983 until end of 1999 ish or so. Even electricity wasn't official. Not saying SL would have made it to the WC, but there would have been at least decent competition to be not ranked the 3rd world's football team. We still have weekend league clubs with same name as the ones from backhome.

(12-07-2022, 11:06 PM)VP Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 10:40 PM)mugatiya Wrote:  I value a higher standard of discourse on the forum. I don't try with you because you are too far gone.

Ok we have a Bitchy Sunak here Smile

Thank you for proving my point. Big Grin

(12-07-2022, 11:08 PM)stillwill Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 07:20 PM)mugatiya Wrote:  There’s so much work that needs to go into being able to compete at the top level in football.
It’s not about having a passion for the sport or genetics.

You need academies
You need infrastructure
You need qualified coaches at every single level
You need to develop technical players
You need to improve nutrition and fitness to a level no one in SL is used to
Then you need a good competitive league

Even if you had every single one of these things tomorrow in SL, we’d not do well for another 25 years because we have never played football at the level these countries play at. Our only experience is against the very low tiers of Asia. The gal between the level we play at vs what you see at the World Cup is not something we can even comprehend.

In North and East it was the most popular sport. I remember being very little and going to watch a match where there must have been at least 3000 people or so. It was an important match. I've heard stories about guys bringing players from Bangladesh, Kolkata and Middle East to play certain cups back in 70s. I'm trying to find some sort of record or proof for even a footage of old matches. None around. It is a missed opportunity for sure. Interest in cricket is very recent because SL cricket itself wasn't popular and obviously there weren't tv broadcast after 1983 until end of 1999 ish or so. Even electricity wasn't official. Not saying SL would have made it to the WC, but there would have been at least decent competition to be not ranked the 3rd world's football team. We still have weekend league clubs with same name as the ones from backhome.

No it isn't. Cricket is part of the fabric of SL culture. Roy-Tho has been played for well over 100 years unbroken. Other schools matches are getting close to that mark too. We have Bradman talking about how good our cricketing standard was when he came to SL. Interest in cricket is not new. Not sure where you are getting this from. Are you talking about the North of SL in general?

Football is for baiyyas and Maradana karas. A sport for sarong jonnies....am I right? Smile

RE: Qatar 2022 (FIFA World Cup) - stillwill - 12-07-2022

(12-07-2022, 11:16 PM)mugatiya Wrote:  
(12-07-2022, 11:08 PM)stillwill Wrote:  In North and East it was the most popular sport. I remember being very little and going to watch a match where there must have been at least 3000 people or so. It was an important match. I've heard stories about guys bringing players from Bangladesh, Kolkata and Middle East to play certain cups back in 70s. I'm trying to find some sort of record or proof for even a footage of old matches. None around. It is a missed opportunity for sure. Interest in cricket is very recent because SL cricket itself wasn't popular and obviously there weren't tv broadcast after 1983 until end of 1999 ish or so. Even electricity wasn't official. Not saying SL would have made it to the WC, but there would have been at least decent competition to be not ranked the 3rd world's football team. We still have weekend league clubs with same name as the ones from backhome.

No it isn't. Cricket is part of the fabric of SL culture. Roy-Tho has been played for well over 100 years unbroken. Other schools matches are getting close to that mark too. We have Bradman talking about how good our cricketing standard was when he came to SL. Interest in cricket is not new. Not sure where you are getting this from. Are you talking about the North of SL in general?

North and East.