Sri Lankan Cricket Fans
Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - Printable Version

+- Sri Lankan Cricket Fans (https://www.slcricketfans.com)
+-- Forum: Cricket Talk (https://www.slcricketfans.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Sri Lanka Cricket (https://www.slcricketfans.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 (/showthread.php?tid=3217)

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - slcricfan1 - 02-29-2024

(02-29-2024, 01:06 PM)Regista Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 12:05 PM)pj57 Wrote:  I reckon selectors are looking at experience in the t20I side due to the up coming t20WC. I will wait till after the WC to give my opinion of the selectors. Not that they haven't given opportunities to few youngsters like Shevon Daniel and Kamindu Mendis.

Some selections have been really good, like Kamindu and Shevon. But other selections have been very strange. Let's see if they actually end up going with Dickwella for this series.

I dont think there have been any genuinely strange selections so far. Who are you referring to?

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - Regista - 02-29-2024

(02-29-2024, 01:41 PM)slcricfan1 Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 01:06 PM)Regista Wrote:  Some selections have been really good, like Kamindu and Shevon. But other selections have been very strange. Let's see if they actually end up going with Dickwella for this series.

I dont think there have been any genuinely strange selections so far. Who are you referring to?

Nissanka not playing the test against Afghanistan was one. Also, Vandersay's selection seems strange. Haven't looked into his recent stats though.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - pj57 - 02-29-2024

(02-29-2024, 02:47 PM)Regista Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 01:41 PM)slcricfan1 Wrote:  I dont think there have been any genuinely strange selections so far. Who are you referring to?

Nissanka not playing the test against Afghanistan was one. Also, Vandersay's selection seems strange. Haven't looked into his recent stats though.

Nissanka hasn't played a test match since July 2022. Vandersay is only a replacement for Hasaranga. As for Dickwella, he has not travelled with the team though he has been added to the squad. Anyway, all selections will not be to our individual liking.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - Bada - 03-01-2024

This says Kamindu will bat at KJP's position
https://www.newswire.lk/2024/02/29/t20i-series-kjp-out-dickwella-in/

Agree Viyaskanth should have been given the nod.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - Regista - 03-01-2024

(02-29-2024, 09:23 PM)pj57 Wrote:  Nissanka hasn't played a test match since July 2022. Vandersay is only a replacement for Hasaranga. As for Dickwella, he has not travelled with the team though he has been added to the squad. Anyway, all selections will not be to our individual liking.

Yeah, maybe I was a bit soon to speak. Let's see how they do until the WC.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - kalu5678 - 03-01-2024

Good that Kamindu will play. Vijay should have been selected.

(03-01-2024, 12:45 AM)Bada Wrote:  This says Kamindu will bat at KJP's position

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - stillwill - 03-01-2024

(02-29-2024, 01:40 PM)slcricfan1 Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 12:59 PM)stillwill Wrote:  Thushara isn't all that to be honest. But Chameera might not be available because he might be broken then or break during the WC.

If he breaks during the wc, then we can bring in Thushara. I really dont think Thushara is good enough. Ok but not a match winner

Ya he isn't lol.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - BELSWILF - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 12:45 AM)Bada Wrote:  This says Kamindu will bat at KJP's position

They have 2 wicket keeper batsmen in the squad already (KM and Sadeera), so why do we need a 3rd one?
When some of us were making a big ha-ho last week of having Dickwella in this squad, PJ was the one who said why are we complaining about something that has not even happened yet.

For various reasons, players like Dickwella and Danushka should be considered as poison for the team's success and youth discipline and keep them away.  Kusal Mendis also falls into that category, but it is OK to make that exception for him since he still performs (every now and then) and also the ODI skipper.
But, we don't need fringe players like Dickwella and Danushka coming in when we could get equally good replacements from the youth - Shevon Daniels, Croospulle and Navannidu.

What those 3 did in that Durham incident in UK is good enough to keep those players out unless of course they are performing exceptionally well at domestic level, so is that the case with Dickwella now?
Whoever the selectors are, Sri Lanka is always trying its very best to go back...

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - Pram - 03-01-2024

(02-29-2024, 02:47 PM)Regista Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 01:41 PM)slcricfan1 Wrote:  I dont think there have been any genuinely strange selections so far. Who are you referring to?

You need to understand the background of selectors. Most of them were sidelined in favor of younger players. Because of this, I can see them backing older players (Vandersay, Akila etc). With a WC in the sight, this doesn't sound like a bad strategy. They have also given chances to younger players - which is great.

RE: Sri Lanka tour of Bangladesh 2024 - BELSWILF - 03-01-2024

(03-01-2024, 04:58 PM)Pram Wrote:  
(02-29-2024, 02:47 PM)Regista Wrote:  Nissanka not playing the test against Afghanistan was one. Also, Vandersay's selection seems strange. Haven't looked into his recent stats though.

You need to understand the background of selectors. Most of them were sidelined in favor of younger players. Because of this, I can see them backing older players (Vandersay, Akila etc). With a WC in the sight, this doesn't sound like a bad strategy. They have also given chances to younger players - which is great.

We are only playing a T20 WC in few months, not a ODI WC, right?
But, these tours that we engage in have both T20 and ODI series.

As for Vandersay, I always support players who give their hearts out for your team, it does not matter if a bowler did that as a batsman, or a batsman did that as a bowler. When I pointed this out in justifying Asitha Fernadon's selection to the ODI team, because he played a cameo in some Asia Cup match as the last man and helped beat us Bangla, PJ laughed at me, saying his job is to bowl, not bat. This happened before the selectors picked Asitha for the ODI team recently, but I am sure Pijja would now ask for proof of that post that I am referring to Tongue

In the same manner, Vandersay stayed with Chameera and fought out a pressure situation to win us a ODI match in one of the recent series. I cannot remember exactly which match that was (because I don't go after Stats), but if a player performs that way be it with the bat or bowl, I would not forget it. Such players need to be given a chance over an equaling performing other competitors who have not displayed such mental strength at all, because these players have shown their fighting capabilities like the way Australian tail-enders always do.